Thinking about the Online Master of Music in Music Education? Take a Shortened Summer Elective!
Calling all music teachers!
Built with you the active music educator in mind, our 100% Online Master of Music degree in Music Education can be completed in as few as 23 months and is created for you, the music teaching professional.
Read on to learn about Kent State’s Online Master of Music degree in Music Education and non-credit summer music professional development classes.
Why Kent State University?
Kent State University provides:
- 100% online courses. Kent State Online has its own course and instructional design team, so all of the content is created by faculty and designed for the online platform.
- Outstanding faculty. Learn from some of the country’s finest music teacher educators in all areas of specialty. Many of our faculty have published multiple research articles, textbooks, book chapters, and journal articles.
- Personal attention. We are dedicated to helping you succeed in your academics! You will have a professional Academic Advisor throughout your collegiate experience as well as be assigned a Faculty Advisor when you enroll in Capstone.
- Opportunity to complete an elective in a shortened amount of time! During the summer, students can choose to take a shortened, 3-credit hour elective focusing on unique music methods. Keep reading for more information on 2022 summer options below.
- Affordability. The program costs only $655 per credit hour.
- Proudly Accredited. We are accredited through NASM, National Association of Schools of Music, Kent State University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission as well as Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Rolling admissions. You can enroll in classes every seven weeks, fall, spring, and summer. Please refer to our admission page for application deadlines
2022 Summer Classes – Take a Shortened Elective this Summer
Although all of the workshops below can be applied to the Online Master of Music degree in Music Education, you can also take them as professional development classes.
Jazz Pedagogy and Performance
Workshop dates: July 11-15, 2022
Students will participate in immersive experiences in various aspects of instrumental jazz: improvisation, ensemble rehearsal techniques, history of Jazz, and composition/arranging. They will also join in a nightly jam session to experience the applicable aspects of jazz music.
Learn more about Jazz Pedagogy and Performance.
Workshop dates: July 18-22, 2022
This will be an introductory level course aimed at practicing music teachers, studio teachers, and conductors who want to strengthen their practice by studying the Dalcroze principles of eurhythmics, solfege, and piano improvisation. This course is offered in conjunction with the American Eurhythmics Society.
Learn more about Dalcroze Eurhythmics.
Orff Levels 1, 2, 3
Workshop dates: June 27-July 8, 2022 (no classes on July 3 & 4)
Study the materials and techniques of the Orff Schulwerk approach to music learning. Students will engage in singing, playing the recorder, playing percussion, movement, and basic Orff pedagogy in this comprehensive approach to music instruction for children. These courses are offered in conjunction with the American Orff Schulwerk Association.
- Level 1 - Develop Orff-Schulwerk principles and techniques through instruction in recorder, pitched, and unpitched percussion, singing, movement, and Orff process. The workshop is appropriate for all educators with a music degree.
- Level 2 - Develop Orff-Schulwerk principles and techniques through instruction in recorder, pitched, and unpitched percussion, singing, movement, and Orff process. The workshop is appropriate for all educators who have completed level I at AOSA-approved institutions.
- Level 3 - Develop Orff-Schulwerk principles and techniques through instruction in recorder, pitched, and unpitched percussion, singing, movement, and Orff process. The workshop is appropriate for all educators who have completed levels I and II at AOSA-approved institutions.
Learn more about Orff-Schulwerk Teacher Education.
Questions about summer 2022 music classes? Contact Dr. Butch Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kent State University Online Master of Music in Music Education
The Online Master of Music degree in Music Education is designed to offer music teachers the opportunity to develop and refine their professional skills. The program is differentiated from others in that it is practitioner-oriented and offers elective courses in specialized music teaching areas.
With this degree, you will have the opportunity to focus your course of study on the aspects of music teaching that are most relevant to your career now and in the future. A master’s degree opens up opportunities to teach post-secondary institutions or apply for further doctoral study in music education or related field. This degree in music education may also help you climb the salary scale, and it may qualify you for leadership positions within your school, district, and state.
For more information on Kent State’s Online Master of Music in Music Education degree, visit https://onlinedegrees.kent.edu/degrees/master-of-music-in-music-education.