Skip to main content

Student Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) assist students with questions about Kent State University's online degree programs and courses. 

Frequently Asked Questions


How do I register for classes?

You can visit the How to Register page to receive detailed instructions on how to register for a class. Note: You must be admitted as a KSU student or Guest student to register for classes. Learn more about being a guest student.

When can I register for classes? When do classes start?

Many of our programs accept students throughout the calendar year, so you can often apply for admission up to a year before you plan to actually start taking classes!

When applying to Kent State Online, you will indicate your desired term to start. We recommend applying as soon as possible because transcripts – and other important documents – need to be obtained and reviewed by KSU. Fall is a particularly busy time for our admissions department, so the sooner you apply, the better. Once you have received your letter of enrollment (whether conditional or unconditional), you will be able to enroll for courses by setting up/logging into Flashline. Often you can enroll for courses during the same semester you are accepted because Kent State Online offers many classes that begin halfway through the semester.

Visit the schedule of classes and important dates on the academic calendar.

What if I change my mind and want to drop a class?

To withdraw from a course, log in to FlashLine and go to Student / Resources / Courses and Registration. Then, click on the Add or Drop a Course link. Choose the appropriate option from the Action drop-down box for the selected course(s). For more information, visit How to Withdraw.

I’m only interested in taking one class. How do I go about it?

Please check the Schedule of Classes for course availability.

You will need to apply as a guest student to take classes. Apply here.

I am applying to a graduate program. Do I need to take the GRE/GMAT?

Please refer to the chart provided by Graduate Admissions for program requirements.

I am applying for a dual degree program. Where can I find more information?

It is important to understand the process of applying for a dual degree. Please visit the University Catalog for the policy on dual degrees.

I am an International student. Where do I go for more information?

Please visit the Office of Global Education.

Can I earn credit for work/life experiences?

Yes, you can! At Kent State Online, we realize learning occurs outside of the classroom too, and we want to acknowledge your experiences. We suggest reaching out to Kent State Online's student support staff who will work with you to determine what coursework may be applicable.

For those specifically inquiring about transferrable military experience, please contact Kent State’s Center for Adult and Veteran Services.

Transfer/Guest Students

Can I take an online course if I’m not a Kent State student?

Yes! If you are interested in taking an online course at Kent State, you will need to register as a guest student. Please visit to complete the Guest Student application.

I am transferring to Kent State University. Who do I contact?

If you have questions about transferring to Kent State, please contact the Transfer Center.

I would like someone to review my previous schooling to see what courses may count toward my new degree. Who can help me?

As with all transfer students, Kent State University will assign you an advisor who will review your transcripts and discuss coursework credit with you. If you have not yet been accepted to Kent State University, a good starting point is to contact our Kent State Online student support staff

Returning Students

I am returning to Kent to finish my degree. Who do I need to contact to restart the process?

Returning to school to finish your degree can be an overwhelming process. Please visit for more information on degree completion.

I previously attended Kent State University, but did not complete my degree. What courses meet degree requirements?

After three, consecutive semesters with no enrollment, Kent State University considers you a student no longer seeking a degree.

A good place to start is by contacting University Advising and Testing who will assess your previous coursework.

Alternatively, you may contact Kent State Online student support staff who will connect you with your degree's program coordinator. We look forward to welcoming you back!

I am interested in re-enrollment at Kent State University. What is the process for this?

If you are looking to return to Kent after an absence of fewer than two years (undergraduate status), you will need to complete an application for re-enrollment. Complete the application here.

If you are looking to return to Kent as a graduate student, please visit the Graduate Studies Admissions page.


How does graduation work with online programs?

Whether you take one course or earn your degree through Kent State Online, you are part of #FlashesForever.

All graduating students are able to attend Kent State University’s singular, system-wide graduation ceremony that takes place in Kent, Ohio – and virtually – at the end of each term. When you register for graduation via Flashline, you will have the option to receive a Kent State University degree-holder, tassel, applicable graduation cords, and other KSU swag!

Do you need help planning your visit to campus for your graduate ceremony?

Contact Kent State Online! We're happy to help!

View the official commencement dates by term.

Financial Aid/Tuition

How much does an online class cost?

Tuition varies by program. Check the tuition and costs page for rates.

When do I have to pay?

For details on important payment dates for the semester, visit the One Stop Billing and Payment Information page.

What are acceptable payment methods?

You can pay via the Online Payment Center using eChecks or a Credit Card. For credit cards, we accept American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa payments online. Please note that there is a non-refundable 2.99% transaction fee associated with each credit card payment. Credit/debit card payments toward a student account cannot be accepted over the telephone or in person. For details on International payments, payment plans, employer tuition reimbursement, prepaid college plans, and other plans, visit the Payment Options site.

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available to those who qualify. To apply for aid, visit the Financial Aid website.

I have questions about my bill. Where can I go for assistance?

For an overview of online degrees and programs tuition, visit the Kent State Online tuition page.

For a detailed overview of your bill, please log in to Flashline to view your account. If you are not a Kent State student and have questions about billing, please visit the One Stop for Student Services for more details.

General Questions

Do you help with active military and veterans?

Yes. The Center for Adult and Veteran’s Services can assist you with your needs.

What is State Authorization?

State authorization refers to regulations that impact online and on-ground education offered across state lines and programs that lead to state licenses or certifications. Each state has unique authorization requirements, so Kent State must review each state’s laws to ensure that the university is always in compliance. For more information about state authorization and NC-SARA (National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements) visit

Online Classes/Platform

Can I take online classes from Kent State University if I live in another state?

Yes, students can take online courses from Kent State University if they live in another state. The university is authorized to offer online courses to students who reside in states covered by the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA), which is an agreement between member states, territories, and districts of the United States of America. Please note that currently, California is not a SARA member, however, the U.S. Department of Education has approved the process the state uses to meet federal regulations, so students from California may take online courses at Kent State University.

Kent State's participation in SARA does not mean that all online courses and programs that lead to professional licensure will meet the educational requirements of each and every state. Please check the State Authorization website for more information on these programs to determine if a particular program will comply with the licensing requirements of that state.

What are the technical requirements for an online course?

You will need A laptop or desktop with the following minimum specifications is required:

  • A minimum of a 2GHz processor
  • Recommend 8GB of RAM (minimum of 4GB of RAM)

View a detailed list of technology requirements.

What do I do if I need technical assistance?

The Kent State Online Technology Help Center can help you with problems with the LMS, logging in to your online course, as well as hardware and software issues.

Contact TechHelp by either submitting a Support Ticket or get help via a LiveChat with support staff. You can also call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 330-672-HELP.

How do I get access to the online class materials?

Depending on the LMS your class is using, login to Canvas or Blackboard to access course materials.

For Canvas questions, visit the Canvas Student page.

For Blackboard and Online Learning questions, visit the Keep On Learning site.

May I begin my online class early?

Courses will be available on the first day of the semester. View the Academic Calendar.

What kind of student does well with online learning?

The practices you need to develop to be a successful student online are very much the same ones you need to be a successful student who attends a physical classroom. However, there are some differences we will talk about, and we will show you some tips and techniques for making you successful in your online or remote classroom.

View the Tips for Success to help you prepare for online coursework.

Illustration of boy on a laptop

Advance Your Career With Kent State

Get ahead in your career with one of Kent State University’s online degree programs.

Request Info

Apply Now