Be a Leader With the Kent State Online MPA Program
Hone your public-sector leadership skills with a well-rounded graduate education. Earn a Master of Public Administration (MPA) in as little as two years or a Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit Management in as little as one year. Help build a better tomorrow for everyone.
By clicking "Get Program Brochure,” I agree to provide the contact information listed above for the purpose of receiving communications regarding educational programs and opportunities.
Take your career to a higher level with our affordable, flexible online MPA or graduate certificate in nonprofit management. Our 100% online programs allow you to keep up with your current responsibilities while you study. Find out how we can help you become the leader you want to be.
Download our guide to learn more about:
- Career Opportunities
- Customizing Your Degree
- The Student Experience
- Admission Requirements
- Tuition and Financial Aid
A Degree Program for the Real World
I recommend this program to anyone who is interested in public administration—the instruction and content have been excellent, and the online format makes it very doable with a full-time job and busy schedule.
Affordable and Applicable
Grow Into the Leader You Know You Can Be
With 100% asynchronous courses, the Kent State online MPA program is designed to be flexible, so coursework fits into the rest of your life, and you can finish what you started, no matter how busy life gets.
Focus on What You’re Passionate About
Customize your learning experience in our NASPAA-accredited program to focus on what interests you most and build on the skills you've already acquired.
Our Program Flexes Around Your Life
Kent State University's online MPA program gives you the flexibility to learn what you need, when you need it, and still maintain your busy lifestyle. You can start with a graduate certificate, and then transfer 12 credits from the certificate to your MPA when you decide to continue your education.
Online and Connected
Build relationships with classmates and professors that will help you throughout your career through the opportunities for networking, discussion and collaboration built into the powerful learning management system.
Make a Real Impact on the World
The need for public administration professionals is evident. About a third of the job roles in the U.S. are public service occupations, and the nonprofit sector is one of the largest in the country. 2, 3
Kent State’s online MPA program will help you develop the advanced expertise required of senior management in these arenas:
- Nonprofit organizations
- Government (all levels)
- The military
- Businesses serving the public sector
Whether you are more interested in healthcare and social assistance, educational services, the arts and humanities, or advocacy, the skills and connections you gain in our program can help you advance your career and make a real impact in the world.
These are some of the directions you can take in your career with a degree from the Kent State online MPA program.
Master’s Degree Overview
The program comprises 36 credit hours,* including:
- Eight core courses
- Three elective courses
- One final capstone project
Graduate Certificate Overview
- Recruiting, selecting, leading and managing people in public organizations
- Developing and managing budgets for nonprofit and public organizations
- Fundraising and resource development for nonprofit organizations
Committed to Your Success
Kent State has been helping students achieve their dreams since 1910. We are committed to giving our students unsurpassed support to ensure success. When you earn a Kent State University degree, you join more than a quarter-million alumni who are creating the future we all want to see.
The Kent State online MPA program is one of the elite few accredited by the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA), assuring you of an academically rigorous, relevant program of study that will serve you well in your career.
We are proud to have earned the Military Friendly® gold designation for the level of service we offer members of the extended military community and all our students.
Move Forward With the Kent State Online MPA Program
Professors for the Kent State online MPA program are connected, engaged practitioners and researchers with expertise in diverse areas. With their varied interests, experiences and connections, our faculty can help you chart your course to a successful nonprofit management career.
- 92% of graduates are satisfied with our programs7
- Benefit from one of the most affordable programs in Ohio8
At just $676 per credit hour for Ohio residents and $686 per credit hour for out-of-state students, Kent State MPA online tuition combines with the caliber of our program to create outstanding educational value.
Program Flash Facts
The Kent State online MPA program will help you become the strong, informed public leader who drives decisions, progress and policy. Our program:
- Has no GRE requirement
- Is open to people with bachelor’s degrees
- Offers asynchronous online flexibility
- Has a part-time workload with focused, seven-week courses
- Offers three start dates: January, May, August
Build Your Career with a Degree Built Around You
Explore the immersive online experience, our faculty roster and some post-graduation career options.
Immersive Online Curriculum
Public Administration Career Potential
- Based on a limited sample of self-reported data from alumni of the Kent State University online MPA from graduating cohorts between 2015 and 2018, including respondents who indicated they expect to change employers within six months from the time of their response.
- Retrieved August 2, 2022, from bls.gov/emp/tables/employment-by-major-industry-sector.htm
- Retrieved August 2, 2022, from causeiq.com/insights/how-many-nonprofits-in-the-us/
- Retrieved August 2, 2022, from glassdoor.com/Salaries/public-policy-analyst-salary-SRCH_KO0,21.htm
- Retrieved August 2, 2022, from glassdoor.com/Salaries/nonprofit-executive-director-salary-SRCH_KO0,28.htm
- Retrieved August 2, 2022, from bls.gov/ooh/management/public-relations-managers.htm
- Based on a limited sample of self-reported data from Kent State alumni from graduating cohorts between 2016-2020.
- Retrieved August 2, 2022, from bestcollegesonline.org/most-affordable/online-masters-public-administration-mpa/