Public Administration (MPA)
Master of Public Administration
The online Master of Public Administration program at Kent State University provides the knowledge and skills to advance your career in the public sector. Using learning techniques that help you apply what you learn in real time, this program positions you for senior management positions in local, state and regional governments, as well as in nonprofit organizations.
M.P.A. Mission Statement
Kent State University’s M.P.A. Program seeks to enhance the quality of public sector and non-profit management through a faculty that is engaged in public service, and committed to teaching ethical leadership and theoretical understanding by teaching ethical leadership and theoretical understandings of administration; enhancing knowledge, analytical skills, and technical abilities; and emphasizing experiential learning opportunities to apply theory and skills. Our core values include pursuing the public interest with accountability and transparency; serving professionally with competence, efficiency, and objectivity; acting ethically so as to uphold the public trust; and demonstrating respect, equity, and impartiality in dealings with citizens and fellow public servants. Toward that end, the program provides graduate level education to a diverse group of public service professionals through a high quality online format.
Why choose Kent State’s online MPA?
- Enroll in a nationally ranked program from the only Ohio university that offers a fully online NASPAA-accredited MPA
- Join a nationwide alumni network that reports a 92% satisfaction rate with the program
- Learn from a curriculum designed to incorporate experiential learning throughout the program
- Experience a flexible online program structure created to fit the lives of full-time working professionals
- Benefit from an affordable tuition that is below many other NASPAA-accredited programs
- Graduate in two years
Kent State’s online MPA is nationally accredited by NASPAA and is one of only a select number of online MPA programs in the United States fully accredited by NASPAA. Our program is designed for busy working professionals, with the following features:
- The program is 36 credits in length, consisting of 12 three-credit courses.
- Each course is seven weeks in length, with two courses taken sequentially each semester. This allows you to focus on one course at a time while still completing the program in two years.
- To keep class sizes small and maximize collaboration, multiple sections of each course are offered.
- The program consists of eight required core courses (24 credits), three elective courses (9 credits), and a final capstone project (3 credits).
- Those without substantive full-time administrative experience in a public service organization (“pre-service” students) must complete at least 3 credit hours of an internship in addition to the 36 credit hours of coursework. However, the MPA program coordinator may waive this internship requirement for students with substantive full-time administrative experience in public service (“in-service” students).
- Once you are admitted to the program, your student counselor will craft your personalized degree plan, giving you a clear course sequence and path to graduation.
Courses are delivered through our course management system, Blackboard Learn. Course content consists of text, narrated PowerPoint presentations, video and audio, live chats, discussion groups and other learning enhancements. To participate in this online program, you will need a computer and broadband Internet connection. Your program may have further requirements that include the ability to record video and audio. If you have questions regarding technology requirements for the program, please contact your student counselor at email@example.com or toll-free at 844-497-3239.
Accelerated MPA Degree Option for Current Kent State University Undergraduates
Kent State offers a special option for Kent juniors and seniors with specific GPA’s. This option allows KSU undergraduates to apply and take graduate courses while still an undergraduate. Specifically, this benefit permits one to double count up to 12 hours of credits for both your undergraduate degree and toward the MPA degree. This shortens the time you need to spend in school to obtain a graduate degree, plus related savings in tuition. If you are interested in this option, please contact a student counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll-free at 844-497-3239.
What You’ll Learn
The online MPA from Kent State builds critical, graduate-level knowledge and skills in areas including:
- Public budgeting and financial management
- Strategic planning
- Information technology in a public service setting
- Nonprofit organization law and financial characteristics
- Ethics in public service
The program integrates experiential learning activities with your coursework, including conducting interviews, attending fundraisers and producing an actionable strategic plan as a program culmination project.
Kent State University’s Public Administration faculty are devoted advocates for their students and for the field of public service. They collectively bring an extensive history of academic research combined with significant in-field work experience, allowing the MPA program to balance academic rigor with a practitioner focus.
The faculty define themselves by the following core values:
- Public service requires personal honesty and transparency
- The public interest comes first always
- Citizen participation in decision-making
- Technical competence in analysis and implementation
- Expanding access to public service education and research
Tuition and Fees
Kent State’s online degree programs are priced competitively to programs at comparable state universities. Tuition and fees for the online Master of Public Administration are $662 per credit hour for Ohio residents (estimated total program cost of $23,832) and $672 per credit hour for non-Ohio residents (estimated total program cost of $24,192).
We recognize that pursuing a graduate degree is a significant investment. Your student counselor can answer your questions on program costs, discuss how a Kent State degree compares to others, and connect you with financial aid representatives when you are ready to discuss your financing alternatives. You can reach us by email at email@example.com, or toll-free at 844-497-3239.
To be considered for admission, students must have completed a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher. Applicants with a GPA of 2.7 or higher will be considered for conditional admission. Contact a student counselor for more information about this process. The bachelor’s degree may be in any area of study.
International students are eligible for admission into this program. For information on international admission and financial aid options, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us toll-free at 844-497-3239.
The key steps to the application process include:
- Reach out to us to start the conversation today. Request more information on our website or call 844-497-3239.
- Participate in an interview with your student counselor to discuss Kent State’s fit with your academic and professional goals.
- Register for and complete the GRE admissions test. A score of 150 or higher on both verbal and quantitative sections is preferred. Applicants with scores below this range may be considered based on their professional background, GPA and other admission materials.
- Complete the online application form. We recommend that you review our admissions checklist for more information.
- Submit the following, as part of the application form:
- Official undergraduate transcript
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Writing sample
Our student counselors are available to answer your questions regarding admission requirements for the program. If you have questions, please email us at email@example.com or call us toll-free at 844-497-3239.